On recognizing music players in hal/hal-info

Martin Pitt martin at piware.de
Wed Nov 14 10:11:08 PST 2007

Hello,

In [1] and its duplicates users complained that many USB sticks use
the same controller than the Feiya Memory Bar, but aren't capable of
music playback. That's why we removed it from 10-usb-music-players.fdi
again (see attached patch).

It seems to me that the current list of music players is hard to
maintain, harder to get and keep right, and will always be behind the
state of the art in stable releases. Maybe this should be replaced by
a more heuristical approach, like checking whether the drive actually
contains music, and (mostly) only music files?

Thanks,

Martin

[1] https://launchpad.net/bugs/90286

--