[hal-info patch] Reintroduce GCC-4240N CD-ROM polling blacklisting

Martin Pitt martin at piware.de
Thu Nov 15 03:49:49 PST 2007

Hi,

Kay Sievers [2007-11-15  3:13 +0100]:
> > As for the check for hdb/hdd, I can only speculate. Maybe the issue
> > only happens if the drive is a slave? I don't object at all to
> > dropping the device name check, that'll make the rule easier.
>
> Hmm, most of us don't use the old IDE drivers anymore, so this would
> be /dev/sr0. Do you know if the same bug happens with libata drivers?

Unknown unfortunately. As I said, I just put back what was originally
in hal, and I don't know why the check was restricted to IDE names
(either to not disable the check for master IDE devices, or to not
disable it for SCSI drivers). The Ubuntu bug report does not have any
followup about behaviour in later releases which use libata in
general.

FWIW, today my system still uses /dev/hdX for IDE devices, so
apparently the current kernels don't use libata for everything yet.

Thanks,

Martin

--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de