Hide a disk?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Fri Nov 16 09:00:30 PST 2007

> >  Put it in /etc/fstab? So it will be ignored as a system volume.

I tried that, but then the boot process sits around waiting for
the drive to spin up so it can see if it needs to fsck it.

> The alternative is to put some policy in /etc/hal/fdi/policy to set
> volume.ignore to true. This rule (installed on most distros) is for
> ignoring fixed drives, but you can probably find proper match keys by
> looking at your lshal output.

That sounds like what I need (in fact I probably need that exact
policy file for other reasons - Fedora 8 doesn't include it, and
I get all the partitions I didn't mount showing up in /media,
which is also annoying - after all I didn't mount them on purpose :-).

I'll experiment with lshal, but I'd imagine I can match on
volume.label? I certainly know that string.