Xorg Input Hotplugging

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at mail.ru
Fri Nov 30 10:15:19 PST 2007

On Thursday 15 November 2007, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > at least one of the properties for your devices should contain their
> > usb vendor/product IDs.
> >
> > other properties xorg understands for keyboards:
> >  - input.xkb.rules
> >  - input.xkb.model

Should not it be actually "evdev" always? As evdev is really the only driver
that would work?

> >  - input.xkb.layout
> >  - input.xkb.variant

have not tried

> >  - input.xkb.options

Does not work; results in empty string with commas, something like ",,"
and X loops taking almost all CPU time.

> > xorg will look for devices with these capabilities (info.capabilities):
> >  - input.keys
> >  - input.keyboard (deprecated)
> >  - input.mouse
> >  - input.touchpad
> >
> > xorg expects these properties to be set on these devices:
> >  - input.x11_driver

Can I really set anything besides evdev, given, that ...

> >  - input.device (usually already set)

... HAL sets above options - so far - only for evdev devices?

> I understand this.
>
> > Also, to quote Daniel Stone:
> > > Try adding Option "AllowEmptyInput" to the ServerFlags section.
>
> This results in a session with no input devices.
>
> > Hope this was what you were looking for.
>
> Well, not really.
>
> 1. I lost buttons 6 and 7 of my mouse. Somehow the system (xev) now
> thinks I have a device with buttons 1 2 3 4 5 8 9
>
> How do I tell
> Option      "Buttons" "7"
>
> in the brave new hotplug world?

And how I resurrect my 3rd button emulation on notebook with 2 buttons?

Anyway here is what I tried as FDI:

{pts/0}% cat /etc/hal/fdi/policy/x11-keyboard.fdi
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keyboard">
      <merge key="input.xkb.rules" type="string">xorg</merge>
      <merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">gb,ru(winkeys)</merge>
      <merge key="input.xkb.options" type="strlist">grp:menu_toggle</merge>
      <append key="input.xkb.options" type="strlist">grp_led:scroll</append>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

but due to xkb.options misbehaviour I stopped further experiments.

-andrey