ConsoleKit changes and test release

Brian Cameron Brian.Cameron at Sun.COM
Thu Sep 6 09:11:09 PDT 2007

William:

>> On 9/6/07, Doug Goldstein <cardoe at gentoo.org> wrote:
>>> considering the amount of changes that have happened to ConsoleKit,
>>> would it be wise to have a development release so it can get a bit more
>>> rigorous testing?
>> Yeah.  I was hoping to have the following before a release:
>>
>>  * Feedback from David, Daniel, etc on the Seat configuration
>>  * Feedback on status of Solaris port
>>  * Plan for resolution of FreeBSD port issues
>>
>> Anything else?
>
> Would you mind giving a brief report on the status / completeness of
> the Solaris port?

I'm not sure that the Solaris port is working 100%, but it is, at least,
somewhat functional.  This is a big improvement over the last release of
ConsoleKit.

Unfortunately there is a kernel locking bug in the Solaris alphaware
VT implementation that is preventing me from testing ConsoleKit more
thoroughly.  It will likely be several weeks (perhaps a month) before
the VT team can fix this issue.  I wouldn't recommend holding back
on a release for this.  If we find significant problems on Solaris in
the future, I'm assuming we can do another release that includes any
further fixes.

In regards to Solaris 10, I'm not sure how well ConsoleKit works.  It
might need further work to get working on Solaris 10.  I'm also not
so sure how well ConsoleKit will work on Solaris unless you have VT
support, as I do.  VT support is planned to go into Nevada build 80,
and I'm not sure there is a real need to support ConsoleKit before
then (we are currently working on build 74).  So build 80 is in
about 12 weeks.  If you find ConsoleKit complains when you don't
have VT related header files, then you probably need to do some
additional work to make it work with the console device properly.
There are also other dependencies of ConsoleKit that are not in
Solaris 10, such as D-Bus.  You could try building any such
dependencies for Solaris 10 using the CBE.  I know some people are
using the CBE to build newer versions of GNOME for Solaris 10.

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/jds/contributing/building/

Brian