ConsoleKit 0.2.3

Doug Goldstein cardoe at gentoo.org
Wed Sep 19 07:26:33 PDT 2007

William Jon McCann wrote:
> On 9/19/07, Doug Goldstein <cardoe at gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> Looks good. I've done some testing here with gdm-2.18 and gdm-2.19.8 as
>> well as the pam_ck_connector
>>
>> Just have some feedback on a few issues.
>>
>> $ ck-list-sessions
>> Session2:
>>         uid = '5000'
>>         realname = 'Doug Goldstein'
>>         seat = 'Seat1'
>>         session-type = ''
>>         active = TRUE
>>         x11-display = ':0'
>>         x11-display-device = '/dev/tty8'
>>         display-device = ''
>>         remote-host-name = ''
>>         is-local = TRUE
>>         on-since = '2007-09-19T13:19:20Z'
>> Session3:
>>         uid = '5000'
>>         realname = 'Doug Goldstein'
>>         seat = 'Seat1'
>>         session-type = ''
>>         active = FALSE
>>         x11-display = ''
>>         x11-display-device = ''
>>         display-device = '/dev/tty1'
>>         remote-host-name = ''
>>         is-local = TRUE
>>         on-since = '2007-09-19T13:40:06Z'
>>         idle-since-hint = '2007-09-19T13:40:36Z'
>>
>> Session2 is via gdm 2.18 and Session3 is via pam_ck_connector.
>>
>> 1) You'll notice that session-type is never populated.
>>

> Yeah.  We don't really know what to put here yet so it isn't used.
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~mccann/doc/ConsoleKit/ConsoleKit.html#Session.GetSessionType

Well then. Looks good. I guess I missed the discussion on that.

>> 2) x11-display-device seems to be wrong a bunch of the time on both
>> machines I've tested it on. i.e. right now X is running on tty7
>>

> This is collected from the helper LIBEXEC/ck-get-x11-display-device.
> So check the output of that.  And compare that to the tty value
> reported by, say, ps: ps -eaf |grep Xorg.  Do they differ?

Nope. Don't differ. Odd. It says tty8 but Ctrl-Alt-F8 and I have nothing
there.. Ctrl-Alt-F7 and there's my X.

>> 3) idle-since-hint never appears to be set for X sessions. Now I know in
>> this case it's not possible because I'm currently active on X to send
>> this e-mail. But I've switched to console and let it sit there for 20
>> min while I went to do something else and then checked ck-list-sessions
>> and there was no idle-since-hint
>>

> There must be a ConsoleKit aware idle monitor agent running in the
> graphical session for this to work.  gnome-screensaver is one that
> will work.  Text mode sessions are monitored directly by ConsoleKit..

hrm. I'm running GNOME 2.18 on that machine with gnome-screensaver and
it didn't do it. I'll try it on my GNOME 2.19/2.20 machine and see if I
get different results. Could be something new-ish/er in gnome-screensaver?

> Thanks for testing.
>
> Jon

No problem. Works great so far. Keep up the good work. As a side note,
were you going to register ConsoleKit as a top level Freedesktop
project? or just create some webspace under the HAL project?