Hal not working with Kerberos5+LDAP authentication.

Juan Miguel Corral Cano cde_ruylopez at yahoo.es
Fri Sep 28 08:15:34 PDT 2007

Hello. This is my first mail at the list, so I'm sorry if I am posting
to the wrong place.
I have a network with PCLinuxOS workstations, authenticating against a
Windows 2003 with Services for Unix. That is: users authenticate via
Kerberos 5, and get their UID and GID via LDAP.
I have noticed that users authenticating this way are unable to use HAL.
This is the output I get when I try to run lshal:

    error: dbus_bus_get: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not
receive a reply.
    Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a
reply, the message bus security
    policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network
connection was broken.

I am sure it is not a problem in hal.conf, because of two reasons:
first, PCLOS has a policy that allows by default to all users to access
HAL devices. Second, when I set up the server and workstations to
authenticate via NIS, HAL works perfectly, although they are the same
users and groups (and same UID and GID)  than with Krb5+LDAP.
Then, it has to be a problem with DBus being unable to start the user's
session, or with HAL being unable to get user data.
If anybody has got to make work HAL with Kerberos+LDAP, then it must be
a problem with the distro. Otherwise, I think it has to be a bug in HAL
or in DBus.

Best Regards. Juan.