Additional info: hal callouts script and dbus-send errors

Peggy Russell prusselltechgroup at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 19:37:15 PDT 2008

Some additional information:

 SuSE 10.3
 hal-0.5.9_git20070831-13.2
 dbus-1-1.0.2-59.4

I am using the default /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf file.

I've been trying to get packet-writing for a dvdrw device integrated into the
system through udev, hal, dbus. The script will setup the packet device
association, change the device known to hal, in order for KDE's automount to
mount the device correctly.  I have been doing a lot of reading and came
across the messages by Phillip Susi in this list.

As I mentioned in the previous message "dbus-send --system" commands works
from a terminal session, but the commands get an error executed from a Bash
script invoked from a hal callout.

Any thoughts or directions would be appreciated.

Thank you.