A Method to Detect Keyboard Model

Daniel Qarras dqarras at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 23 10:05:55 PDT 2008

Hi!

--- Daniel Qarras <dqarras at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Especially some configuration tools for distributions write
> configuration files with keyboard model information. E.g., xorg.conf
> may contain:
>
>         Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
>
> However, for many laptops "pc105" is not optimal as there are vendor
> specific keymaps available with support for special keys, e.g.,
> "acer_laptop", "asus_laptop".
>
> Do you think that a configuration tool should use HAL to determine
> the optimal keyboard model? If so, is it already possible somehow?

I'm just speculating but when inspecting output from lshal I see:

  system.formfactor = 'laptop'  (string)

Perhaps that could be checked and if formfactor is "laptop", then
checking for available vendor keymaps should be easy, e.g., Acer is in
numerous entries:

  system.hardware.vendor = 'Acer, inc.'  (string)

Cheers!