battery polling is a headache for OLPC

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Mon Aug 4 10:58:48 PDT 2008

Hi,

Commit 7430beeb6c introduced battery polling. When upgrading to a HAL
version which includes that commit, we are seeing some audio performance
problems on the XO laptop as HAL polls the battery (unfortunately, we
have to disable interrupts and so on while querying the embedded
controller).

Our power management subsystem does receive interrupts when battery
charge level changes, and these are successfully communicated to HAL -
no need to poll.

I've attempted to fix this by adding a fdi entry for OLPC's battery that
indicates this, and then modifying hald not to poll batteries that
provide notifications. Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks,
Daniel