What makes a CK session active?

William Jon McCann mccann at jhu.edu
Mon Feb 4 13:17:34 PST 2008

Hi,

On Feb 4, 2008 3:54 PM, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at freebsd.org> wrote:

> I am trying to get the shutdown and restart buttons working on GDM 2.21,
> but my CK session is always inactive (even when I'm logged in).  For
> example:
>
> Session1:
>         uid = '92'
>         realname = 'GNOME Display Manager'
>         seat = 'Seat1'
>         session-type = 'LoginWindow'
>         active = FALSE
>         x11-display = ':0'
>         x11-display-device = '/dev/ttyv8'
>         display-device = ''
>         remote-host-name = ''
>         is-local = TRUE
>         on-since = '2008-02-04T20:44:18Z'
>
> What makes a session active?  I have a feeling I have a bug in the
> FreeBSD CK port, but I haven't been able to track it down yet.  Any
> advice would be greatly appreciated.

A session is active on a local seat (in theory this is seat specific)
if the currently active VT device matches either x11-display-device or
display-device.

So, CK may be identifying a different VT device as active.  Send the
daemon a USR1 to turn on debugging and try switching VTs.  You should
see some output in syslog.

Jon