Proposal v2: identifying modems and mobile broadband cards

Faidon Liambotis paravoid at debian.org
Mon Feb 11 15:03:40 PST 2008

Dan Williams wrote:
> Right; the problem here is that when you've got an active data
> connection on ttyUSB0, you _have_ to communicate with the card via the
> proprietary interface on ttyUSB1 to do things liek signal strength and
> whatnot.
I am perfectly (and painfully) aware of that and it is the primary
reason I am trying to reverse engineer BREW.

>> In the event that I manage to complete the reverse engineering (I'm not
>> very far from it), it'd be nice if HAL would transparently support
>> talking to the management port. Not sure how, but it seems like a good
>> time to include this on your plan.
>
> Yeah; if we use 'modem.command_sets', we can add 'brew' as a supported
> command set there.
Cool, thanks.

>> Note that there is already a free software implementation for a part of
>> BREW, called BitPim[2]. This software is for CDMA phone management
>> (phonebook, SMS etc.). Unfortunately, there are no indications that they
>> are even aware of the AT passthrough feature.
>
> Yeah, heard of bitpim; haven't looked too closely at it though.  Do you
> have a site where you are developing a specification for BREW?
I forgot to say that I am not affiliated with bitpim in any way.
Also, I am not in the process of producing a specification for BREW, nor
I am interested in that.
I honestly don't care if there's a cooler way of reading the SMS off my
data card on my laptop ;-)

I am merely trying to find a way to issue normal GSM AT commands to my
device when the PPP is active.

And in that case, no, I don't have anything written as a documentation,
yet. It is pretty high on my personal TODO list though.
I still have a serious issue to solve too :/

As for BREW in general, I had to take a look at bitpim's code for
obvious reasons and it seems pretty readable to me.

Regards,
Faidon