problem running hal-set-property from a script

Timo Aaltonen tjaalton at cc.hut.fi
Thu Feb 14 00:45:56 PST 2008

 	Hi!

   I've got a problem with running hal-set-property in a script. It can't
connect to hald for some reason, running the same command by hand works.

What I'm trying to do is to configure input.xkb.keymap et al on the fly (for
xserver input-hotplug), using a script like this:

--
#!/bin/sh

. /etc/default/console-setup

hal-set-property --udi $UDI --key "input.xkb.layout" --string "$XKBLAYOUT"
--

10-x11-input.fdi appends the key to run that script:

.
   .
     <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keys">
       <append key="info.callouts.add" type="strlist">hal-setup-xorg</append>
   .
.

and all I get is:

  hal-set-property --udi
   /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_413c_2101_noserial_if0_logicaldev_input
   --key input.xkb.layout --string fi

Could not initialise connection to hald.
Normally this means the HAL daemon (hald) is not running or not ready.

--

so any help is appreciated. This is with Ubuntu Hardy. Could PolicyKit have
something to do with this?