10-modem.fdi

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sun Jun 1 06:52:29 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 09:46:46AM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 14:28 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > I'm not sure we want to blindly try a stored PIN even once, to be honest
> > - if the user plugs and unplugs their phone 3 times, we don't want to
> > trigger the PUK locking. Does AT+CGSN require a PIN first?
>
> Remember, you want AT+GCAP though...  that's what lists the standards
> that the phone supports and allows us to detect plain modems from GSM
> from CDMA.

AT+CGSN should give us a unique identifier regardless of whether it's
CDMA or GSM. Worst case on normal modems is that it gives an error, but
we probably aren't worried about a PIN in that case.

> But yes, that was Marcel's point, that there are some that simply don't
> respond to anything until AT+CPIN or whatever has happened.

Presumably they'll at least give us the PIN count? Possibly in that case
(where we can't identify the phone uniquely) we should just refuse to
store the PIN. More inconvenient, but much safer.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org