[Fwd: Quirk for the Dell Latitude D430]

Fabrice Rossi Fabrice.Rossi at apiacoa.org
Tue Jun 3 00:31:28 PDT 2008

Hi,

Thanks Richard for sending this report to the list. Everything is not
perfectly working with the modification I'm proposing, so I prepared a
more detailed report of the status of the Dell Latitude D430.

I'm using Fedora 9 on the Dell Latitude D430. They ship a
30-keymap-dell.fdi file that is completely identical as the one
currently in the repository
(http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal-info.git;a=blob;f=fdi/information/10freedesktop/30-keymap-dell.fdi).
 No keymap is detected by hal with this configuration
lshal | grep keymap
gives nothing.

I don't know if it's relevant, but the hal system has version 0.5.11 in
Fedora 9. The /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/ directory is
shipped as an independent package build on the 8th of may. This seems
quite up to date to me.

With this stock version, some of the Fn+?? combinations do work
(warning, I use a French keyboard, so I'm not completely sure the name
of the keys are the correct ones):

- Fn+End mutes the sound
- Fn+Pageup raises the volume
- Fn+Pagedown lowers the volume
- Fn+F11 launches gnome-screenshot
- Fn+F12 is the Pause key
- Fn+F5 is the Scroll_Lock key
- Fn+F4 is the Num_Lock key
- all the virtual numerical pad keys work perfectly

For the three sound keys, I've got a nice visual feedback on the sound
volume modification via gnome.

Then the brightness control keys work partly:

- Fn+up increases the brightness but generates an unknown key pressed
message with scancode e006
- Fn+down decreases the brightness but generates an unknown key pressed
message with scancode e005
- Fn+left toggles the brightness auto control but generates an unknown
key pressed message with scancode e013

For those keys, I don't have a visual feedback and I guess the
brightness is directly controlled by the hardware (or the bios, those
things are beyond my knowledge).

Then the other keys don't work:

- Fn+F8 is supposed to switch to an external display but only generates
an unknown key pressed message with scancode e00b
- Fn+F7 is supposed to toggle the display between 4/3 and wide format
but only generates an unknown key pressed message with scancode e00f
- Fn+F3 is the battery key (I don't know what it is supposed to do) but
 only generates an unknown key pressed message with scancode e007
- Fn+F1 is the suspend/hibernate key  but only generates an unknown key
pressed message with scancode e00a

The scancodes generated by the D430 are identical to the ones documented
for the D420 and D820 in the 30-keymap-dell.fdi file. If I extend the
match close to cover the D430 and restart the hal daemon, the situation
gets better.

First, the keymap is detected, as expected. Second, the three brightness
keys are fixed, that is they don't generate anymore kernel message and
they get a nice visual feedback from gnome. The battery key works (no
more message and display of battery information), ditto for the
suspend/hibernate key (it puts the D430 to hibernation, as expected).

Two issues remain. Fn+F7 is mapped to switchvideomode. This induces some
screen blinking, but nothing else. I guess some support is needed
somewhere to really toggle an aspect ratio change.

The really strange issue for me is that Fn+F8 still generates the very
same unknown key pressed message (i.e., with the scancode e00b) whereas
lshal | grep keymap
produces
 info.callouts.add = {'hal-setup-keymap'} (string list)
  info.capabilities = {'input', 'input.keyboard', 'input.keypad',
'input.keys',
'input.keymap', 'button'} (string list)
  input.keymap.data = {'e005:brightnessdown', 'e006:brightnessup',
'e007:battery
', 'e00a:suspend', 'e00b:displaytoggle', 'e00f:switchvideomode',
'e013:f23'} (string list)

As far as I understand, the scancode should be mapped to something... If
I issue a manual setkeycodes, the key is recognized. It does not toggles
the external display. I look around and it seems the only success for
that matter was to bind the key to a script that will in turn call
xrandr to toggle the external display. Anyway, I don't think it's hal's
business.

I hope this report will help improving the situation for D430 users.

Best regards,

Fabrice