Help with HAL, Consolekit and scanners

Sergio Callegari sergio.callegari at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 05:16:23 PDT 2008

Hi,

After having upgraded a linux machine to the latest release of Ubuntu, I have
discovered the different way of managing pluggable devices provided by
HAL+consolekit.

Before, I had udev recognizing the USB scanner and setting it to be owned by
user root and group scanner, that appeared to be just fine.

Now I do not have anymore udev rules for USB scanners.  The scanner belongs to
root.root.  Then HAL+consolekit add an ACL to it, making the current console
user an owner, so that the current console user can scan.

Unfortunately, this is limiting and wrong for me, since I need:

1) To prevent some console users from scanning.
2) To set up a scanner server with saned.

Hence I have the following questions:

A) How can I disable the current ACL creation, so that the current default user
is not by default allowed to access the scanner?

B) How can I make sure that HAL makes the scanner owned by group scanner, so
that saned can access it?

Looking forward to receiving some help, or some pointer to documentation...

Sergio