[hal-info patch] Add default video quirks

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Jun 24 07:18:25 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 10:02 +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> On Montag, 23. Juni 2008, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 12:32 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > > The vast majority of machines will not resume without any quirks. As a
> > > result, it makes sense to try a reasonably safe set of defaults if there
> > > are none defined. Machines that explicitly require that no quirks be run
> > > can still define quirks.none.
> >
> > Sounds useful to me; any chance you can add a comment about this in the
> > fdi file including a reference to the thread before committing it?
>
> No, IMO it's not usefull. As already annotated: these quirks are no common
> quirks. If you take a look at the existing quirks this combination is never
> or only in rare cases used. It make absolutely no sense to add them to
> hal-info.

Sure, maybe some of the unquirked systems only need a subset of the ones
Matthew selected ... but that's fine as they will resume even if there's
unused quirks. I cannot understand why you are hesitant to change
default behavior for unquirked machines. Let's back up a bit: do you
disagree with the premise that the vast majority of machines will need
quirks to resume?

     David