[hal-info patch] Add default video quirks

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Tue Jun 24 10:48:05 PDT 2008

On Dienstag, 24. Juni 2008, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:02:09AM +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> > No, IMO it's not usefull. As already annotated: these quirks are no
> > common quirks. If you take a look at the existing quirks this combination
> > is never or only in rare cases used. It make absolutely no sense to add
> > them to hal-info.
>
> Current case: Machines stand no chance of working
> Case with default quirks: Machines stand some chance of working
>
> I'm struggling to see how this can realistically be considered a
> disadvantage.

Only one small case: a machine don't need any quirk (there are already several
listed which don't need any) and would break now with these strange
combination.

And btw. if you want to add some default quirks it would only make sense to
add them for a vendor (where we know what works the most of the time see.
e.g. IBM/Lenovo and other) and not in general.

Dannyß