Authorizing some users with root password and some with their own passwords

Gökçen Eraslan gokcen at pardus.org.tr
Wed Jun 25 01:45:25 PDT 2008

Tuesday 24 June 2008 Tarihinde 16:58:09 yazmıştı:
> > On top of my head, why not add the root user to the wheel group? (Or if
> > not suitable for the 'wheel' group due to sudo's usage of it, create a
> > new group 'desktop_admin' etc.)
>
> Actually, root is in wheel group :) But, it is not included in the
> admin_users parameter of PolKitGrantSelectAdminUser callback, although we
> define wheel group as admin in PolicyKit.conf. Can this be a bug, or our
> misuse of something?

I've found that, in polkit_grant_helper.c, root user is explicitly skipped
while adding users to group that is defined as admin (such as wheel):

 /* skip user 'root' since he is often member of 'wheel' etc. */
if (strcmp (user, "root") == 0)
	continue;

Why is this code added? If 'wheel' group is defined as admin, root should be
included in the users list. Am I wrong?

Cheers.

--
Gökçen Eraslan