[patch] do not try to remove stale directories in .hal-mtab on unmount

Martin Pitt martin at piware.de
Wed Mar 5 03:33:43 PST 2008

Hi all,

in [1], some users had some trouble with unmounting devices:

 Cannot unmount the volume.

 Details:
 Cannot remove directory

this is due to stale entries in .hal-mtab.

A patch [2] was proposed to robustify the matching in .hal-mtab to
pick the right directory when libhal_volume_get_mount_point() succeeds
(if not, it doesn't change behaviour).

IMHO the patch should use a new variable for the
libhal_volume_get_mount_point() result, otherwise it pointlessly does
a strcmp() in every loop iteration.

The idea looks fine to me IMHO. As further mitigation, .hal-mtab
should be removed on boot, but that's something for the distros of
course.

If you like it, I'll clean it up and submit a patch against git head.

Thanks,

Martin

[1] https://launchpad.net/bugs/95368
[2] http://launchpadlibrarian.net/7223911/68-fix-umount-stale-hal-mtab.patch

My 5 today: #198295 (hal), #191725 (hal), #181832 (jockey), #154214
(language-pack-ru), #193978 (gnome-control-center, jockey)
Do 5 a day - every day! https://wiki.ubuntu.com/5-A-Day