Identifying mobile phones as modems

PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE macanas_ped at gva.es
Tue Mar 11 02:57:52 PDT 2008

De: lists.freedesktop.org en nombre de Daniel Qarras
Enviado el: lun 10/03/2008 23:29
Para: Pawel Kot
CC: hal at lists.freedesktop.org
Asunto: Re: Identifying mobile phones as modems

> And one more thing. If it is about automatic starting NetworkManager
> when the phone gets connected and it will make all other apps
> unusable
> (because port being in use) I don't think it is a good idea. If it
> will let other apps to connect anyway, that's fine.

>To me it seems that connection will start automatically only if the
user has configured his gsm connection in NetworkManager to autoconnect
(not default). So I can use gnokii etc while the phone is connected and
seen by NM as long as the gsm connection is not active.

We could pass this to HAL. So, the user could include in the configuration file for networking autoconnect when the phone / modem is connected (and use this or that program).

I would select use NetworkManager (is there a freedesktop.org version of Network Manager ?).

Regards.