Identifying mobile phones as modems

PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE macanas_ped at gva.es
Wed Mar 12 06:03:46 PDT 2008

________________________________

De:Pawel Kot
Enviado el: lun 10/03/2008 23:11
Para: Bastien Nocera
Asunto: Re: Identifying mobile phones as modems

>Keep in mind that there are more cables (rs232 converters) to connect
Nokia (and probably not only) phones. We have collected more
information at http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Cables

I would add gnokii to NetworkManager and make it the HAL/freedesktop standard for network, modem and phone management.

>And one more thing. If it is about automatic starting NetworkManager
when the phone gets connected and it will make all other apps unusable
(because port being in use) I don't think it is a good idea. If it
will let other apps to connect anyway, that's fine.

I agree. We would try the last option ( automatic starting without make all other apps unusable).

>And it was one of my goals to allow various applications to connect to
the phone simultanously through some abstract layer (remember phone
utopia?).

This can be HAL.

Regards.