Free-BSD large FAT-Partitions, NTFS-Partitions

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 12 18:45:36 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 14:10 +0100, peter weismann wrote:
> In Free-BSD 6.3 and 7.0, the choice for kernel option MSDOSFS_LARGE is
> no longer available, instead, mount_msdosfs can be used with
> option -o large now, to mount FAT partitions larger then 128GB
> manually. However, HAL will not mount them automatically, as it used
> to do in earlier Free-BSDs with mentioned kernel option realized.

I have RELENG_7, and I don't see a -o large option supported by
mount_msdosfs.  Where is this documented?

> I have tried a change in
> /usr/local/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/20-storage-methods.fdi
> and added a line:
> <append key="volume.mount.valid_options" type="strlist">large</append>
> in the section
>       <!-- allow these mount options for vfat -->
>       <match key="volume.fstype" string="vfat">
> <match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.kernel.name"
> string="FreeBSD">
> but it wouldn't work.

This is part of what you need to do.  But it's not hald's job to
auto-mount volumes.  You would need something like gnome-volume-manager
to actually tell hald to mount the volume.  It also needs to be taught
what mount options are needed.

> I also did not get NTFS partitions mounted by HAL rw, only manually as
> root; automatically they are mounted ro by HAL.

Right.  FreeBSD's hal only has support for the kernel NTFS.  Fuse
support is missing since I do not have NTFS volumes, and cannot test.
Patches are welcome.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org