Identifying mobile phones as modems

Daniel Qarras dqarras at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 13:04:42 PDT 2008

Hi!

> > > Are you 100% sure none of them use the same connector?
> >
> > Looking at the compatibility page for CA-42 it indeed seems so:

Well, glad that Dan asked me if I'm "100% sure" because it made me to
check one more time and, yes, I found at least one CA-42 compatible
CDMA model:

http://www.nokiausa.com/A4431496
http://www.nokia.ca/A4488178

So, this is getting interesting :) I see at least the following

- do not support cables at all, let people do the work manually - this
would be sad as they're are hundred of millions of phones and probably
millions of cables out there so quite a few potential users..

- mark cable to support either GSM or CDMA, let the affected
applications to sort it out what kind of device is actually connected

- default either/or (perhaps even based on some external criteria like
locale/timezone/whatever) but allow the user to change the mapping.

Alas, it seems that this is getting much more difficult than I
originally anticipated when I posted the patch but I guess sooner or
later someone would have came to this same situation anyway.

Thanks.