Thinkpad T61 646066U Power Management Quirks

David Goodlad david at goodlad.ca
Thu Mar 13 21:26:35 PDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 10:05:28PM +0100, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 12. März 2008, David Goodlad wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > In the current version of hal-info there are some quirks applied to
> > all Thinkpad models with system.hardware.product beginning with 6460
> > that do not apply to my unit (a 646066U). This is a T61 model (not
> > T61p as it seems to imply in the existing comments). My laptop has an
> > nvidia quadro 140m card which suspends fine with s3_mode and the
> > latest drivers (169.12). s3_bios breaks things...
>
> Unfortunately I have to say: we don't support atm the proprietary (closed)
> drivers like fglrx or nvidia.
>
> For more see: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.hal/10984

That's understandable; Not having any control nor insignt into the
driver's inner workings makes things tough to support.

However, what I was really trying to address with my patch was the
regression from when I was running Ubuntu 7.10 and suspend worked 100%.

The check for any model number starting with 6460 assumes that an intel
chipset is used, but that's not the case: my 646066U has an nvidia
quadro 140m. So, maybe you won't directly support binary drivers, but
the assumption that all 6460* T61 models have an intel card and are fine
with s3_bios is a little bit too far-reaching...

Dave

--
David Goodlad

email:        david at goodlad.ca