Parallel hotplugging event issues

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Sun Mar 16 16:25:23 PDT 2008

On Sonntag, 16. März 2008, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> Now when a device is removed, all it's child devices get removed too.. So
> the event for A removes device C, causing the handlers of C to get confused
> (as C is gone).. What this shows is that purely using the sysfs path
> prefixes for dependency information isn't enough, the relationship of
> devices as hal has detected them needs to be taken into account too.

The problem is IMO now the code to remove e.g. spawned devices which are
childs of real devices. See attached patch which may helps if a device get
removed by remove childs only if they have no sysfs path. Other devices with
a set sysfs path should get removed correctly via normal handling.

I didn't test the patch, I do this tomorrow.

>   Personally i'm not sure if it would be good to have the parallel event
>   processing in the next release. It might be better to back it out for
> now, get the release out. And merge it afterwards, so that there is some
> more time to work out all the issues with parallelizing these things. I'm
> afraid it will keep triggering a lot of little issues for a while.

Currently I'm not sure if we should release a final version with the patches
in. I've to do some more tests tomorrow. If we can fix the problems on device
removal I would tend to release without revert the patches. If we need later
more fixes, we can simply release a 0.5.11.x.

Danny