Improving the suspend quirks guessworking

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 21 05:50:30 PDT 2008

Hi hal gurus,

Martin Pitt [2008-03-20 21:24 +0100]:
> (1) laptop model has no matching FDI rule -> use the default quirks
>     in the attached patch
>
> (2) laptop model has matching FDI rule -> use them as they are, and
>     do not add any default quirks
>
> (3) the proprietary nvidia and fglrx drivers, and intel >= i915 [1]
>     know how to reset the video hardware on resume and must not use
>     any video quirk in /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video.
>     resume_video() should immediately return in those cases.

FYI, those are the patches I applied to Ubuntu's hal and pm-utils now
to achieve the above.

I understand that they are more like hacks than clean and
upstream-adoptable solutions. The long-term solution would be to make
hal/FDIs powerful enough to match on X.org device drivers (or, at
least, loaded kernel modules) as well, then both patches could become
FDIs.

However, maybe another distribution can make some use of them.

Thanks, and happy Easter holidays,

Martin