Improving the suspend quirks guessworking

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sat Mar 22 08:09:51 PDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 04:43:10PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> 2008/3/20 Martin Pitt <martin at piware.de>:
> >  a while ago, Matthew Garrett applied a patch to Ubuntu's hal to apply
> >  some kernel workaround suspend quirks by default, even if they weren't
> >  specified in the hal-info FDIs (see attached patch for reference).
>
> I think this is a really bad idea, sorry. In my opinion this will
> confuse users even more ("but I already have quirks and it still
> doesn't work!") and stop genuine fixes getting pushed upstream.

If the user specifies any quirks, the defaults won't be used. I don't
think that's a concern. What's more of an issue is that these aren't
"fixes" - they're workarounds for the fact that our graphics system is
deficient. I don't think that defaulting to "We will do nothing to
restore your graphics state" is helpful.

The current quirks will be unnecessary on i915+ on 2.6.26 (or Fedora's
2.6.25) at best, in any case - at worst, they'll be actively harmful.
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org