Improving the suspend quirks guessworking

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 20:18:31 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 20:48 +0100, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> On Dienstag, 25. März 2008, Frej Soya wrote:
> > As long as every distribution does the same ;). If an fdi file needed on
> > ubuntu would not be needed on fedora, that would be very confusing. The
> > problem is that quirks needed for suspend to work - change over time. For
> > every kernel/driver version they have to be retested.
> > As an example.. the macbook pro(1. gen) quirk (vbe_post) is actually
> > harmfull for fglrx 8.03 + 2.6.24-12. Ofcourse this is with fglrx... so who
> > cares ;).
> >
> > I have no clever solutions, just wanted to note that quirks are not
> > constant over time. I think this makes it very hard to keep a database of
> > correct quirks. I'm probably wrong :)
>
> The by Matthew proposed solution wouldn't fix this problem.

HAL as it currently stands cannot fix the problem.  The quirks database
does not contain all the pertinent data.  The one quirk per system model
database (which, as far as I can see, is what is currently implemented),
only works when all systems of a given model have identical video
hardware.  This is simply not the case for rather a large number of
models.

> DAnny

Victor Lowther
Ubuntu Certified Professional