Improving the suspend quirks guessworking

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Wed Mar 26 06:26:41 PDT 2008

On Mittwoch, 26. März 2008, Victor Lowther wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 01:16 +0100, Danny Kukawka wrote:
[...]
> > If you take a look at already existing quirks, I wouldn't say this is a
> > common combination to fix things generally or often.
>
> It is getting to be more and more common.  Intel, AMD, and nVidia have
> won the graphics wars for now.  Intel now has a sane in-kernel driver
> that does not require quirks,

You don't sound logical! If e.g. Intel don't need any quirks, then these
machine would break with the quirks Matthew proposed! A argument against
these quirks, or not?

[...]
> > Not sure if this is possible at all, because of GPL violations.
>
> Not exporting to sysfs?  Who cares.  The nvidia drivers (at least)
> have /proc/driver/nvidia, and the fglrx drivers probably have a similar
> mechanism.  Not utilizing that info is just foolish.

We don't want to start using more proc stuff. We try to remove everything that
is from proc because proc is deprecated for such information.

Danny