Update on DeviceKit

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed May 7 09:11:00 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 13:47 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:
> On Mi 07. Mai - 13:38:21, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> > >
> > > What about brightness controls
> >
> > IMO powermanagement
>
> Yes, I think of it like following:
>
> Having a subsystem daemon for power management incuding:
>
>  org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.*
> 				.PowerSupply
> 				.CPUFreq
> 				.Backlight
> 				.Sleep
> 				.WakeOnLAN (maybe better fitting to NetworkManager)

What I have right now (IIRC) is

- org.freedesktop.DeviceKit.Power
  - Sleep, Hibernate
- org.freedesktop.DeviceKit.Power.Source

It's very simple. Also other questions

 - I'm in the camp that thinks we should leave backlight to X. But I'll
   reply elsewhere on that.

 - Is CPUFreq still something we want?

 - WakeOnLAN - probably agree to punt that to NetworkManager

 - I think we want a "composite battery" source too.. that represents
   all the power sources on the box. Mostly because every policy agent
   will need to do this themselves anyway.

 - Maybe we want to record historical data in a database much
   like DeviceKit-disks does for SMART values
   - http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/DeviceKit-disks/Device.html#Device.DriveSmartGetHistoricalData
   I think this would be really useful; I know g-p-m already does
   something like this. Would be useful to do it in a single place.

      David