Update on DeviceKit

Lennart Poettering mzuny at 0pointer.de
Wed May 7 11:09:49 PDT 2008

On Wed, 07.05.08 18:49, Matthew Garrett (mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org) wrote:

> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 12:39:26PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
>
> > So someone just needs to teach X about using libsmbios on Dell machines.
> > Just like it's using /sys/class/backlight on Linux. I don't think the X
> > people are opposed to this; certainly ajax didn't seemed opposed to this
> > last time I checked.
>
> The license of libsmbios means it's not going to go into X, so it's
> going to need to be some external callout /anyway/. I'm not convinced
> that this ends up any cleaner :)

libsmbios is GPL? Oh my.

I am not sure if the fact that some backlight controls require some
really, uh, strange code (XML-parsing GPL-only C++ code!) to work
should be reason enough to no do things the way it is the cleanest and
most elegant.

With this Dell crack you'll end up with a slightly dirty solution
anyway, regardless what you. That should not hold anyone back in
sticking backlight control into X.

Lennart