Update on DeviceKit

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Wed May 7 11:16:25 PDT 2008

On Mittwoch, 7. Mai 2008, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 06:39:48PM +0100, ext Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 01:23:41PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > > By the same token should we also care about voltage / power management
> > > on the GPU etc? Of course, not, leave that to the _driver_. Which is X.
> >
> > I should probably clarify something here. On a lot of hardware, the
> > backlight is *not* related to the graphics hardware in any reasonable
> > way. It's possible to make X handle this, but at that point X is just
> > your abstraction layer.
>
> It's an abstraction layer that already deals with multiple devices and
> displays both in a sensible way, so HAL would have to strictly follow
> RandR 1.2 (and only people with DRM modesetting would get that useful
> mapping) in order to be even remotely useful for configuration.

But why not provide a simple interface that allow non X
tools/applications/daemons to change the brightness without reinventing again
the wheel again and again. Nobody force X or X applications to use this
interface, but they can. And I mean a simple interface as we have now in HAL,
providing access to sysfs (and some old proc interfaces, we may don't need in
the future) and some special tools as on Dell machines.

Danny