Update on DeviceKit

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at nokia.com
Wed May 7 11:48:15 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 08:43:46PM +0200, ext Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> 2008/5/7 Daniel Stone <daniel.stone at nokia.com>:
> > On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 08:35:14PM +0200, ext Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> >  > What about fast user switching and other systems where you are likely
> >  > to have multiple X daemons? You'd need to teach X to either talk to
> >  > ConsoleKit over DBus or write yet another system daemon to keep track
> >  > of screens changing their active sessions...
> >  If ConsoleKit is indeed the way forward (I get lost in ConsoleKit,
> >  PolicyKit, InitKit, CamelCaseKit, DeviceKit, TextEditorKit), then yes, X
> >  and ConsoleKit are going to need to talk anyway.  *shrug*
>
> Don't get me wrong but behind all those ifs and thens is a Jane user
> who happens to share a laptop with her boyfriend. Please don't break
> their setup intentionally claiming that "in the end things will sort
> themselves out."

How will this have any impact on that? Right now, the case you've
described may or may not work.  If people are interested in fixing it,
then they need to fix it; having backlight control in X doesn't make
this any more or less difficult.  If anything, it's just one more thing
to take care of on EnterVT/LeaveVT.

I honestly don't see the problem here, but maybe I'm just being thick.
Can you elaborate on how having backlight control in DK vs. having it
in X has any impact on this issue, being that X presumably needs to
co-operate with CK anyway?

Cheers,
Daniel