Update on DeviceKit

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Fri May 9 03:52:08 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 20:54 +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 06:39:48PM +0100, ext Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 01:23:41PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > > By the same token should we also care about voltage / power management
> > > on the GPU etc? Of course, not, leave that to the _driver_. Which is X.
> >
> > I should probably clarify something here. On a lot of hardware, the
> > backlight is *not* related to the graphics hardware in any reasonable
> > way. It's possible to make X handle this, but at that point X is just
> > your abstraction layer.
>
> It's an abstraction layer that already deals with multiple devices and
> displays both in a sensible way, so HAL would have to strictly follow
> RandR 1.2 (and only people with DRM modesetting would get that useful
> mapping) in order to be even remotely useful for configuration.

So, to get back to the original discussion, how does one add support for
backlight changes in X when:
- the device doing the changes is a platform device, and not connected
to the graphics hardware
- the hardware does the changes itself, but we want user-space to be
made aware of the changes ("laptop_panel.brightness_in_hardware" key in
HAL)
- or a combination of both above

And which dependencies are acceptable to add to the X server?

Cheers