DeviceAdded question

Gilles GIGAN gilles.gigan at gmail.com
Sun May 25 16:49:49 PDT 2008

Hi all,
When I connect a USB webcam, org.freedesktop.Hal.Manager generates a couple
of DeviceAdded signals for the newly created HAL objects. One of these
objects usually has the 'Video4Linux' capability. These are the HAL objects
created when I plug in a Creative NX webcam (no microphone):
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_401c_noserial
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_ffffffff_ffffffff_noserial
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_401c_noserial_video4linux
The last one in this case holds the information about V4L and is easily
identifiable by checking at least "info.category" and "info.capabilities".
However, when I connect an old Logitech Quickcam express (qc-usb driver), no
V4L-related object is created and I only get:.
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_46d_840_noserial
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_46d_840_noserial_if0
grep'ping syslog shows the webcam has been detected and the device file
created.

Is this HAL-related or driver-related ?
If it is driver-related, which step (specifically which function call)
usually notifies HAL that a new V4L object has been added ? is it tied to
one of the sysfs routines ?
Thanks,
Gilles