[hal-info patch] Reintroduce GCC-4240N CD-ROM polling blacklisting

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed May 28 00:50:06 PDT 2008

Sjoerd Simons [2008-03-21 15:09 +0100]:
> This thread seems to have died out without good conclusion. Iirc the reason of
> the problem isn't strictly that the cdrom drive is a slave, but that the
> harddisk and the cdrom drive are on the same bus. Meaning that because of the
> issue in the cd drive, the harddisk is prevented from communicating over the
> ide bus for some time everytime we poll, hence it gets really slow.

I have had plenty of computers with a HD and a CD-ROM drive on the
same IDE bus (CD-ROM usually was slave, but I also had it the other
way around). So it does seem to be confined to just this particular
model, for some weird reason.

> If there are no complaints, i'll commit a patch for this somewhere next week..

The original patch still seems to work, and we still ship it. So can
we get it upstream again, too?

Thanks,

Martin