[hal patch] increase helper timeout

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Tue Nov 11 02:36:07 PST 2008

On Dienstag, 11. November 2008, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Danny Kukawka [2008-11-10 13:35 +0100]:
[...]
> > And it looks to me as if it could be also a kernel problem (since some
> > ppl. report that it worked with older kernel versions, but not with
> > newer). Did someone check why it don't work for some devices (I got never
> > such a report with SUSE products) and where it hangs?
>
> Not to my knowledge. As said, it's utterly hardware specific and thus
> hard to reproduce and debug.

But the correct way would be to find out if it's a kernel problem since the
HAL change would be only a workaround and we would like to prevent such
workarounds which may prevent underlaying bugs to get fixed. Especially in
this case since some ppl. in this bug and one of the other say, that it
worked with other kernel versions.

> > Btw. If it hangs on probing the filesystem on the volume you can revert
> > the change since we can also do this:
> > http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=users/dkukawka/hal.git;a=commitdiff;h=7a
> >ca1f3fefefd3c760636aabcff1e25946ab6391
>
> That looks like a good idea in any case. I can't say whether it fixes
> that particular issue, since it is probably a combination of vol_id
> being slow, and the CD-ROM needing a lot of time to detect and spin up
> the CD.

Do you have any chance to fix your HAL package and let the bugreporter test if
this change fix the problem without increasing the timeout?

Danny