hal: Branch 'master'

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 08:25:01 PST 2008

Martin Pitt wrote:

> I understood this patch differently. vfat, iso9660, etc. file systems
> do not have a concept of uid/gid, which is why they are mapped to
> 'root' by default, and mount provides uid=/gid= options to assing them
> to someone else by default. ntfs does support uids (AFAIK, haven't
> ever used it in practice), but they are not related at all to Linux
> UIDs, and thus shouldn't really be used when mounting under Linux.
> Thus ntfs should use mount's uid=/gid= overwriting, similar to vfat.

ntfs (in-kernel) and ntfs-3g both
provide the option to override the uid/gid (otherwise the fs is mounted
with owner root:root). As ntfs-3g is treated as a different fstype
(which is wrong imho, should only be a different fs driver), the patch
simply allows for users to also pass the uid/gid mount option to hal,
when they use ntfs-3g (see the linked bug report)

Cheers,
Michael