hal does not start anymore

Johanna Bilder j.bilder at gmx.net
Tue Nov 11 13:17:54 PST 2008

hi,

at first, I apologize if I am on a wrong list, in this case please let me
know.
I am new to this list.
Without effort I tried to fix my problems reading mailing list of ubuntu,
kubuntu, looking for tips and trick, used google and so on.
perhaps someone can help:
I work on an eeepc 900 with hardy and adams kernel, all worked fine.
What happened:
As far as I remember, after trying to suspend and resume the machine hal did
not work any more.

and hal does not start:
what I did:
root at eee-kubu:/# /etc/init.d/hal stop
 * Stopping Hardware abstraction layer hald                              [
OK ]
root at eee-kubu:/# /etc/init.d/hal start
 * Starting Hardware abstraction layer hald
root at eee-kubu:/# ps aux | grep hal
root      6643  0.0  0.0   3012   772 pts/2    S+   21:53   0:00 grep hal
root at eee-kubu:/#
consequently there is no automount e.g. for usb-sticks, camera does not work,
knetworkmanager does not recognize the network interfaces.
I can set up the wired interface with ifconfig eth0 <ip-address> up, so the
driver works.
In the logs I could not find anything concerning hal.

Is there someone who can give me a hint to solve this problem?

regards
Johanna