hal does not start anymore

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 12 05:18:50 PST 2008

Hi Johanna,

Johanna Bilder [2008-11-12 11:54 +0100]:
> *** [DIE] hald.c:main():785 : Could not init PolicyKit context: (null)

That's exactly what I get if I forcefully remove the "policykit"
package. However, the package "hal" depends on "policykit", so that
shouldn't actually be possible. How did you install this system? Did
you happen to install some packages manually and --force-*'ed away the
dependency checks?

If you don't have the package "policykit" installed, does installing
it help? What does "sudo apt-get -f install" do for you? (This command
attempts to repair your system by installing missing dependencies,
configures half-installed packages, and so on).

Martin