multi-user, hald, consolkit, oh my

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sun Nov 16 07:15:32 PST 2008

I'm working on multi-user setups.

I'd like to be assign some resources - like a USB hub - to a seat and
have hotplug work only for that seat.

Currently, what happens is that a user plugs in a camera, and hal
reports the event.  All of the concurrent gnome-volume-manager instances
then try to grab that resource, and what results is a mess.

consolekit has been suggested as a way to resolve this, but I can't
figure out how to use it.

So I figured I'd ask here, as hal is the lowest level of resource reporting.

If I want to group some resources and only have those resources on
behalf of a specific user, and not any other, is there a way to do that?

Thanks.,

--Yan