[ANNOUNCEMENT] hal-0.5.12rc1 and hal-info-20081127 available for testing

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Thu Nov 27 08:41:06 PST 2008

On Donnerstag, 27. November 2008, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi Danny,
>
> Danny Kukawka [2008-11-27 16:13 +0100]:
> > I've uploaded the first release candidate of hal v0.5.12 along with a
> > hal-info snapshot to:
> >
> >     http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/hal-0.5.12rc1.tar.bz2 [and *.gz]
> >     http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/hal-info-20081127.tar.bz2 [and
> > *.gz]
> >
> > Please note: they are only snapshots and not tagged in the git repos atm.
> > Please test the packages heavily and carefully. Please report bugs (no
> > features get included until the final version). Thanks in advance for
> > your work.
>
> Thanks for preparing those! I uploaded them to Ubuntu, and have them
> running on my box. I exercised a set of obvious test cases (network
> manager, crypted USB stick, quirks, suspend), and working fine now.
>
> From my POV I'd like to see two things fixed:
>
>  - Joystick detection [1][2], which is an improved version of the
>    patch that Matthew Garrett recently proposed. It's in Ubuntu for
>    some weeks now and I haven't heard any complaints, and it works
>    very well.
>
>    OK for me to commit?

I have to take a look at it.

>  - Fix rfkill handling, to fall back to new sysfs kernel API. This is
>    discussed in [3]. I ported Steve Langasek's patch to 0.5.12rc1 and
>    asked him to test the current version (since it doesn't apply to
>    my Latitude D430). I haven't incorporated Maciej's additional fix
>    yet, though.

I don't think we need these patches. This HAL version supports the rfkill
subsystem with a new addon [1] which support all types of rfkill devices
(wlan/bluetooth/wwan ...).

The (old) ipw addon is only needed for the old ipw* kernel drivers with the
latest kernel version(s) since they don't support rfkill yet. The iwl* driver
should have rfkill support which is covered by the new rfkill addon.

For older kernel versions you may have to use the old addon for ipw* and iwl*
driver, if iwl* drivers are not ported to support the rfkill subsystem.
That's why I have split the related fdi file into two [2] to make it
configurable.

Danny

[1]
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/hal/commit/?id=ab020cb5f396f54691352edb323cf159894144a0