automount ntfs volumes (was ntfs volume and locale= option)

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Fri Oct 10 06:02:37 PDT 2008

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:07:35 +0000 (UTC)
Szabolcs Szakacsits <szaka at ntfs-3g.org> wrote:

> Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka <at> web.de> writes:
> > On Samstag 4. Oktober 2008, Michael Biebl wrote:
> > > a Debian user reported that mounting ntfs volumes fails for him
> > > under KDE [1]. After investigating this problem, the following
> > > issues were found:
>
> Thank you Michael for taking care about this issue. Your summary was
> one of the nicest and cleanest I've ever read.
>
> The locale= mount option is relatively a minor issue because there
> are over 70 other ones which users may want to use and can cause the
> same problem.
>
> The real issue is how NTFS automount should work. This became one of
> our (NTFS-3G) top priorities for a while because it's indeed a big
> mess for two years, and it's only getting worse.
>
> The NTFS-3G developers' policy was that we do not force what NTFS
> driver is used and how it is used. This is also explained as the top
> most often asked problem: http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#plugandplay
>
> In June we invested a lot of time and enery to research and solve
> this issue but sadly with no result yet. Originally we believed that
> HAL should provide the needed configuration, as it does for any other
> file systems.
>
> Danny kindly explained to us that this is not OK because NTFS-3G is
> not a kernel file system driver. This is true because it's indeed a
> hybrid, split kernel/user space driver but otherwise it exactly
> behaves as any other in-kernel file system driver.
>
> The only real difference is that while automount works smoothly
> for the other file systems, it's a total user and distro developer
> disaster and confusion for those who would like to use NTFS-3G
> (at the moment over 180 distributions, most of the top 100 most
> popular ones: http://ntfs-3g.org/distributions.html).
>
> We planned to provide the HAL .fdi file in the NTFS package and
> collected the requirements. The issue became very complicated
> because whatever we designed, it was either broken in some popular
> system or it got broken later on by HAL upgrades.
>
> We sent to Danny some emails asking his help and advice but sadly
> we never got reply to the above emails how we could solve these
> problems:
>
>  http://ntfs-3g.org/misc/ntfs-hal-2008-06-12.txt
>  http://ntfs-3g.org/misc/ntfs-hal-2008-06-17.txt
>  http://ntfs-3g.org/misc/ntfs-hal-2008-06-29.txt
>
> Our conclusion was that either HAL should provide the config because
> it's the only one which knows its internal changes, so it can keep
> compatibility and consistency with itself, or some other type of
> automount should be used.
>
> We would gladly do whatever is needed to support smooth automount
> but we got completely stuck how this could be achieved without direct
> HAL support.
>
> > > b.) should be locale= option be provided by a fdi shipped within
> > > the ntfs-3g package?
> >
> > Also yes.
>
> Please see http://ntfs-3g.org/misc/ntfs-hal-2008-06-12.txt

> [...]

Okay, all that being the case, we still need to work something out to
have a modicum of consistency among distributions.  I'll bet I'm not
alone in being often frustrated by reports of "I can do $x in
$distribution, but it works differently in $other_distribution - how do
I replicate the behavior in $distribution?"  We (Slackware) ship an fdi
file in our ntfs-3g package that seems to work out well, at least for
the majority of users, but of course, there are going to be corner
cases.   Maybe we packagers can work out a "de-facto" standard, so as
an effort to start that process, here's our fdi file (attached).
Comments and criticism welcome :-)

-RW