automount ntfs volumes (was ntfs volume and locale= option)

Szabolcs Szakacsits szaka at ntfs-3g.org
Fri Oct 10 12:13:53 PDT 2008

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Michael Biebl wrote:
> 2008/10/10 Szabolcs Szakacsits <szaka at ntfs-3g.org>:
> >
> > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Robby Workman wrote:
> >
> >> Okay, all that being the case, we still need to work something out to
> >> have a modicum of consistency among distributions.  I'll bet I'm not
> >> alone in being often frustrated by reports of "I can do $x in
> >> $distribution, but it works differently in $other_distribution - how do
> >> I replicate the behaviour in $distribution?"  We (Slackware) ship an fdi
> >> file in our ntfs-3g package that seems to work out well, at least for
> >> the majority of users, but of course, there are going to be corner
> >> cases.   Maybe we packagers can work out a "de-facto" standard, so as
> >> an effort to start that process, here's our fdi file (attached).
> >> Comments and criticism welcome :-)
> >
> > Thanks. We tried to walk on this path a few times, sadly without much
> > success.
> >
> > The above approach works for specific distribution versions __until__
> > ntfs-3g or HAL is upgraded (or downgraded). Which happens too often.
>
> Could you elaborate, why that didn't work out? What were the problems wrt
> hal?

Please see my previously sent examples (arch linux, gentoo).

> If ntfs-3g is updated and the ntfs-3g package ships the fdi file,

Ntfs-3g can not ship a file which works with most versions of HAL.

If we shipped several config files for the different HAL versions then we
wouldn't be able to on-the-fly replace them when HAL changes.

> I'd expect the ntfs-3g maintainers to update the fdi file accordingly.

Even if all ntfs-3g maintainers update the fdi file accordingly, this
doesn't help when users upgrade from source and the included fdi is not
compatible with the installed or a later upgraded HAL version.

If HAL interfaces were stable then there wouldn't problem using a config
file. But apparently this is not possible because it's an always changing
target.

On the other hand, ntfs-3g is quite static from configuration point of

Regards,
	   Szaka

--
NTFS-3G:  http://ntfs-3g.org