Why is the Dell killswitch interface turning *off* all hardware BT switches?

Mario Limonciello mario_limonciello at dell.com
Thu Oct 23 11:03:49 PDT 2008

Hi:

I've been trying to track down why on some machines the hardware BT
switch suddenly stops working periodically and then figured out what's
actually happening.  HAL is turning it off every time.  Well
unfortunately, on a lot of Dell platforms, the software switch simply
doesn't work.  This is a BIOS limitation on those platforms.  What
happens then is somehow this kill switch interface gets triggered, turns
off the hardware switch, and suddenly the user has no way to turn
bluetooth back on.  I feel the better solution is to only turn off via
the software switch.  If the platform ends up supporting it, it will
work, if not, nothing happens.

I'm attaching a patch to adjust this behavior, but I'm open to
constructive criticism.

Regards
--
Mario Limonciello