[hal-info] Some thinkpad panels don't use laptop_panel.brightness_in_hardware

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Fri Oct 24 02:16:34 PDT 2008

On Samstag, 9. August 2008, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 04:57:07PM +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> > Work this with any kernel version? Or is there a special version needed?
>
> Once the acpi video module is loaded, no brightness control
> will be done in hardware on machines that implement the ACPI backlight
> class. However, depending on kernel options, the kernel may do it
> instead.

But this would mean we need to add laptop_panel.brightness_in_hardware=true
again if the kernel handles it (from the userspace view it doesn't matter if
the kernel or the hardware do the change, since a reaction from userspace
would lead to trouble if the brightness was already changed.).

Is there a way to find out (e.g. via sysfs) if the kernel handles the change?

Danny