[hal-info] Some thinkpad panels don't use laptop_panel.brightness_in_hardware

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Fri Oct 24 06:17:00 PDT 2008

On Freitag, 24. Oktober 2008, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 02:58:53PM +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> > It would be really useful if there would be a sysfs attribute under
> > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/ and an event if the module parameter
> > get changed. Otherwise HAL can't tell reliable if it's handled in
> > hardware.
>
> Or we could just fix the kernel so it doesn't screw with the brightness.
> It's a one line diff.

For me it doesn't matter if the kernel change the brightness or the userspace.
I guess it's faster if the kernel handles it and it would be nice since it
allows also brightness changes if the user is e.g. on a console.

But's maybe a problem if a machine has a high number of brightness steps. In
this case it would be maybe useful to let the userspace change the brightness
since it can set specific steps.

Danny