automount ntfs volumes (was ntfs volume and locale= option)

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Fri Oct 24 08:14:38 PDT 2008

On Freitag, 24. Oktober 2008, Robby Workman wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:54:23 +0200
>
> Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka at web.de> wrote:
> > On Sonntag, 12. Oktober 2008, Danny Kukawka wrote:
[...]
> > > Any comments on my proposal to solve this issue for future releases
> > > of HAL? I would like to have a solution for the next release to
> > > push the desktop distros to adapt their mount handling to the
> > > changed spec.
> >
> > Any comments on my proposal (see
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-October/012358.html)?
> > If there are no comments, I go to commit the changes to the spec.
>
> Forward looking, that sounds reasonable (I think).
> Am I correct in thinking that this doesn't really help us at all in the
> short term though?  That is, kde-3.5.x, xfce-4.4.x (and soon to be
> released 4.6.0) will still have the same problems?

I guess you are right, since it need the desktops/tools to get adopted. Until
then you need another fdi-file which overwrites the fs-type and set the
allowed mount options for ntfs-3g. While this is wrong in general it should
be very generic (it should run with the most of the latest HAL releases).

Danny