Any policy for 10-usb-music-players.fdi?

Fanen Ahua afanen01 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 14:47:50 PDT 2008

Hi,
I wonder whether there is any quick rule for deciding whether or not to
submit a patch to get a device recognised by hal as a usb music player.

The reason is that, I have a Nokia E51, which plays music fine, and
detects as a usb storage device. Making hal detect it makes it easier to
transfer tracks with rhythmbox. My brother also has a Nokia 5310 express
music which (obviously) plays music fine, and is detected as usb storage
device. My flatmate has a Nokia 5220 Express Music... the list goes on.

I can make and submit patches for these, but I wonder if it will get out
of hand to simply submit a new patch for every mp3 playing usb device I
happen to come into contact with.

[I do know about the ".is_audio_player" trick, it just kind of gets
annoying to have to make a new one every time you format the device
because some malware-infested windows box messed things up]

Any info would be appreciated.

picFanen Ahua
Random quote: Eat right, stay fit, and die anyway.